First of all, it won't hurt, an EEG recording is completely
non-invasive and safe. But I am sorry, we will make a mess
of your hair.
Before you arrive:
1. Could you please wash your hair the day before you come
with normal shampoo, but do NOT use conditioner, gel or
any other hair products. We need a nice clean scalp.
2. Get a good night's sleep. If you are tired
this will increase the slow waves in your brain.
3. Don't have a coffee or a high caffeine
drink for a few hours before the recording. Caffeine will
increase the fast waves in your brain. One coffee in the
morning with breakfast will be OK.
We cannot recommend you stop any
medication, so you may want to speak with your
GP before doing so. Most medication will show in the EEG
"Brain Map". For example Ritalin should be stopped for 48
hours before the brain map.
5. Relax: If you are stressed this will increase
the same fast waves as Caffeine or Ritalin. So if you are
going to be late for the appointment, do not worry just
The "Brain Map" will take about an hour depending on the
tasks we do and how still you can sit. The normal test battery
we record includes:
- Eyes Closed for 5 minutes. (We need a minimum of 3
minutes of "good" data)
- Eyes Open for 5 minutes with your eyes still.
- A 20 minute "Visual Continuous Performance"
task. This is a bit like the game Snap.
This is a good tool for assessment of executive function
of the brain, not only at behavioural level but also at
the physiological level.
- If there is Dyslexia or auditory processing problems
we like to record a 18 minute auditory task.